Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Pearl Inside Of The Shell

I have been remiss in sticking to my commitment to do a weekly blog, but I am back and moving forward with the plan!
The short spring that Texas experiences is here in full force. Beautiful cool evenings and just enough rain to make things lush in new green-ness. I know the heat of summer is minutes away, so I'm remembering to enjoy the days that I'm able to enjoy in Austin's spring.
The "living between L.A. and Austin" experiment is proving to be interesting but a bit difficult energetically.  I'm psychically always somewhere else...sort of out of my body and it takes some effort to be present in my body where ever I am literally. 
I think being able to transport ourselves over thousands of miles in a matter of hours in a speeding silver tube in the sky makes it confusing to truly be whole where ever we've traveled to until our bodies and minds catch up at the destination. 
Walking to L.A. from Austin might give me a more realistic perspective of time and distance...well that's not happening.

In my "present" moments in Austin I'm writing a new song and a rough of the poem is below. The Pearl Inside Of The Shell.

Hopefully a new CD will appear in 2017 with all the most recent material I'm working on. 

In the mean time I'm excited to be singing with a group of musicians that jazz pianist Peggy Stern put together for a concert we'll be doing at: 
Casa Karen in Austin on Sunday April 23rd from 3:00 to 4:30.  
If you'd like to attend, drop me an email and I'll pass along the details! suzistern@gmail.com

Also please check out the Lulufest Music Festival ( which I am the associate Director of ) that's coming up on June 3rd at Jones Auditorium in Austin!
Web site with details:  http://lulu-fest.com/

me trying to be present in my body!




The Pearl Inside Of The Shell


Weightless, 
she drifted on water
Her feet wet, 
with mud of brown earth
That she will carry with her, 
to step upon a new shore
And walk into the unknown, 
not knowing what lies before.


She watched death,  
he feasted on sorrow.
Their eyes met, 
to challenge her fate.
“Don’t look away he dared her, 
come sleep with me with out fear…
I offer you sweet blindness, 
to all you loved and held dear.”


“You are not my lover…
I am not your whore, 
so lie beside another,
Let me wash ashore”
A lifted flag will fly…
Though not afraid to die…
Life is like surrender.


The ocean, 
holds secrets in fathoms
Beneath her, 
the salt of their tears
A wish for opal stillness
The fog that hides a farewell
A welcome quiet stillness
The pearl inside of the shell