Monday, August 21, 2017

Pay Attention

I've spent 
the day in virtual reality emailing 
Facebook 
Apps
Tweet 
online calling always 
a device in my hand 
that contacts my electronic digital my life 
my world my sky my sister 
my mother my friend 
this my planet
tree grass mud dust bone blood
my wind 
not on a device
Pay attention 
how wind makes hair 
on your arms raise 
Pay attention 
to star  
fire dance 
in black velvet vast night
Pay attention 
to perfume of magnolia
on breeze 
from blocks away 
hits you in the face 
like I wash of wonderful 
Pay attention
this can only happen 
if you're alone in focus
without device 
In the distance 
I hear 
roar of highway 
I see 
red light turn green 
21st-century 
sidewalk corner
great grandmother's nature 
prevails 
pushing 
her way to cement 
stands firm 
remembering
tree on lawn with roots going deep 
ancient
Pay attention
the story is underfoot
and still there to hear.