Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Beautiful Youth!

It's an incredibly clear, sunny day here in Boston today.  

Warm for Feb. anyways. I think I'm acclimating to this northern climate because at 40 degrees it feels balmy.

I took a walk while on a break from teaching some online voice students and I sat down in an inviting courtyard filled with trees and good energy, then I noticed it was one of Berklee's dorm buildings.

I watched young musicians making their way to rehearsals and classes pushing double basses on wheels, cellos and violins strapped to backs...two young men guiding a dolly filled with drums trying to avoid snow mounds on the sides of the street. 

I could feel the focus and excitement of their inspired musical journeys. It was almost visceral. I remember that energy well. It made me smile. The winter light-warm sun and sounds of sparrows anticipating spring...eavesdropping on bits and pieces of conversations passing by me about Bartok and Chick Corea wafting on the air. 

In spite of the insanity of the world right now I felt so full of hope and contentment.


This was outside the dorm. A lovely dedication to Wayne Wadham in the courtyard.
He said "Drench yourself in the torrent of life. Devour and conquer the best and most current technology available to you. Know how great artists achieved miracles with virtually no tools at hand. Then when life confronts you point-blank, shakes you like a leaf in a hurricane-and you survive to relate the experience-you will be equipped to do so in the most empathetic and powerful form possible."

The path at the Charles river this morning.
Along the frozen shore...